04 August 2009

comfy hooks...

comfy handle grip (DSC01953)

handle grip close up (DSC01954)

Now that's more like it!
Making tight stitches can really wear on my hooking hand... so to make my smaller crochet hooks more comfortable, I have started to mold polymer clay into a handle grip. This method is ideal because I can increase the diameter of the handle to the size and shape that feels most comfortable and make it more eye catching... transforming any old hook into a hook made just for me... ergonomic... just the right look and fit.

If you want to give this a try here is what to do...
  • preheat oven to 275 °F (135 °C)
  • work the polymer clay (I use Sculpey III) until it is soft
  • mold the clay around the handle of your crochet hook into a shape that fits your hand the best
  • place hook on an oven-safe glass dish and bake 15 minutes for every 0.25" (~6mm) of clay
  • remove from oven and allow to cool
  • enjoy the comfiness and crochet to your heart's content

4 comments:

  1. Hi. Found you on craftster.org and totally love these.

    Did you use several colors rolled together? Or is there a mottled color you can buy?

    Also you say bake for 15 mins for every 6mm of clay. Is that every 6mm in length of the handle or width of the handle?

    Thanks. :)
    baligirl_oz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bali...
    I work the colors separately until they are soft and pliable, then I mix and work the colors together. By doing it this way, it prevents the colors from mixing too much. For the hook in this post, I actually used a clay extruder to make "spaghetti", and then mixed. I think this gave it more defined color boundaries.
    The 6mm is referring to the width (diameter) of the handle at the thickest part. If your handle grip is really thick, you can cover it with an aluminum foil dome to prevent scorching with long bake times.
    Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be great for my hooks to make it less painful on my fingers. Oh and I love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it - great idea I am trying tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

what is on your mind...